What is Prometheus
Prometheus is an open-source system for monitoring and alerting, originally designed at SoundCloud. Since its beginning in 2012, several corporations and organizations have adopted Prometheus very largely, and therefore the project incorporates a terribly active developer and user community. it’s currently a standalone open supply project and maintained severally of any company.
Features Of Prometheus
Prometheus’s main features are:
- A multi-dimensional knowledge model with statistic knowledge known by metric name and key/value pairs
- PromQL, a versatile command language to leverage this spatial property
- Time series assortment happens via a pull model over communications protocol
- Multiple modes of graphing and dashboarding support
- Targets square measure discovered via service discovery or static configuration
Components Of Prometheus
The Prometheus scheme consists of multiple parts, several of that are optional
- The main Prometheus server that scrapes and stores statistic knowledge
- Special exporters for services like HAP Roxy, StatsD, Graphite, etc.
- A push entranceway for supporting ephemeral jobs
- An alert manager to handle alerts